Friday, September 18, 2009

The Greatest Fairy Tale (Week 1 Day 1)

            The book of Esther begins with the phrase "This is What Happened... (NIV)" Beth Moore compares that phrase as used here to that of the famous words used to open fairy tales, "Once Upon A Time."  Well, you've heard of 4 letter words (no offense meant here) but this is a 4 letter phrase in my life. As a girl I just loved fairy tales. All little girls want to be the princess- just ask the people at Disney merchandising. I, too, when young was no exception. I knew my tall, dark, and handsome prince would find me any day. I would be rescued from all harm. I never thought twice about it. It would just happen. 
         Fast forward about 15 years. I was in my early 20's, single, told by doctors that I could never have children, and broken hearted. It was about that time that I began to despise the words "once upon a time"  because I stopped believing them.  I knew they were just that- things of fairy tales. Reality hit me very hard. Fast forward another 12 or so years to today. Less than 2 weeks from my 35th birthday. Engaged, yes, but still broken hearted about many things in my life. And I am reading those dreaded words again. Beth quotes from her research about how those words usually mean "impending catastrophe or doom" (cue scary sound effects) but after going through the grief all ends well. Again, it brought me back to the struggles from about 12 years ago and me crying out to God so many times, asking Him when do I get my "happily ever after?" 
                    As Beth illustrated using Romans 15:4 in both the intro video session and today's lesson, God, through His scriptures, longs to bring us hope. And, as she pointed out, every single person, man and woman alike, can use a dose of God's hope every day. I know that is what keeps me going. So....What am I hoping for as I begin this study? To better understand my biblical role as a woman (as tough as it may be) and to find the path that God has ahead for me. 

                   So, to put this all together. I am encouraged to again believe in a fairy tale. YEAH! But not any written by the Brothers Grimm or franchised by Disney. The fairy tale that my very Creator has for me. God's word promises me as a Christian many things. I may not be modern day beautiful princess with the lineage of the great leaders of that day that Esther marries into. I indeed will have the trials, but just like in the beginning of the first chapter of Esther, a grand royal feast is being prepared for me. A Holy Kingdom will have a place for me. God still has a Happily Ever After for me. In fact, it is the ultimate of happily ever afters. The greatest fairy tale ever. 


3 comments:

  1. Robbyn - you are an inspiration. Love your honesty and your willingness to be open to what God has for you. Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbyn - thank you for sharing what those four words mean to you. I was saddened to read about your broken heart, but encouraged to read about how much you trust the Lord to finish the good work He has begun in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbyn,
    Your four little words brought back alot in my heart today, I want to thank you for these.
    I specifically liked when you said; "every single person, man and woman alike,can use a dose of God's hope every day." AMEN SISTERS!

    ReplyDelete