Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wk. 1 Day 3- The "trophy wife" say enough ?

  Esther 1: verses 9 through 12


                Enter Queen Vashti. We are not told in scripture exactly what happened when the King's eunuchs (I had to look up the definition of the word to be honest) went to the Queen. It only tells us she refused the King's demand and the King became furious and angry. Even though we are instructed not to gossip, who wouldn't want to have been a fly on that palace wall. Beth sites from commentaries as to some possible reasons, but we will never know for sure. 

                The personal question for the day was to rate "how haunted are you by the pictures of physical perfection that loom nearby? I wrote down 10. I am greatly affected. I guess for me I am definitely affected and want to compare- that is only natural of a human. Most of the time I can notice and try to shake it off- but it does make it worse if the people around me verbalize that they too notice. It doesn't matter the company- male of female. If someone mentions another's beauty, I immediately feel inferior. Feel I can't measure up. 

                Interesting enough, these 4 verses due not actually mention any superlatives. It doesn't speak like the mirror in Snow White saying that Queen Vashti was most beautiful woman in the land. Just that the queen was "lovely to look at." Reading this alone outside of the homework, this did not spark too many negative feelings. I have a feeling this when come in to play later as Esther is chosen the new Queen- but I am trying NOT to jump ahead in the story. The homework, I feel, kind of makes you do that for this particular day. Again, the scripture does not mention superlatives and just that the King called for the Queen, and she refused bringing anger to her husband. I suppose in this situation, any husband would be angry. You are among a huge crowd of important people and your wife makes a fool out of you. From scripture we know the Queen was absorbed in her own party and no husband of hers was going to disturb her time with her BFF's. From the homework, we can assume she must have had a REALLY good reason to refuse the order of her husband- who just happened to be the King of the land. Was she really wanting the "wear the pants" of the kingdom? Was she tired of just being only considered eye candy for her husband? Or, was it actually her vanity and she was busy discussing with the girls her bad hair day and how bloated she felt- and just plain didn't feel like she was "lovely to look at" in that particular moment to be made such a spectacle over at her husbands grand moment? We are left to only wonder. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Robbyn. Thank you for sharing your vulnerabilities.

    ReplyDelete