Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kings and splendor--Week 1 Day 2

Today in this study I read Esther 1 verses 1 through 8. As an avid reader and person who loves to write, these verses are very intriguing to me. The visuals the words create are wonderful. They truly do make you feel, like Beth points out, that you are watching a movie. You see the grandeur of the palace. You are drinking out of the golden goblets. Wow. I remember for the "Sunday School" version of the story that there was a grand party, but taking the time in this study to really reflect on how over the top this scene really is- is really eye opening.
The personal question we were asked in the homework is "Describe a time when you toured an estate or attended a party that left you saying something like, "Oh, the ____________!". Well, I immediately went back to the summer of '85 when I was not quite 11. My family took a vacation and went by car from our home in Florida to Nashville, TN. My Dad decided that we would take the longer way and drive through Memphis on our way. We spent one whole day with "The King"- Elvis. Talk about splendor. I don't think I still have seen again the likes of the enormous chandeliers and the fixtures all made of pure gold. Even a baby grand piano that was gold plated. It is 24 years later and the impression is still so strong. Even at that young age, I couldn't believe Graceland and all of the planes and cars. It also happened to be the anniversary of his death, so there were tons of flower arrangements and decorations. It was beyond belief. No wonder Elvis is still called "The King" seeing how he lived. And to think King Xerxes would probably even thought of Elvis as barely more than a pauper. Craziness. Foolishness. Beth had us read Psalm 49: 6-20. To sum it up- it states we shouldn't value wealth because it can't buy us our life. We all will die- as unpleasant as that thought is for most. We will not be able to take a cent with us. King Xerxes didn't take it with him. Elvis sure couldn't take it with him. I know I spend many hours stressing over my finances. I am again reminded to lay that in God's hands again. I pray for God to change my heart everyday. I will leave you with this for the night: Jesus himself, as recorded in the Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "

2 comments:

  1. Robbyn, thanks for the reminder that all this stuff really doesn't matter. Wow! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbyn - Great visual! Graceland... I've never been there, but great comparison.

    ReplyDelete